Wednesday, January 9, 2008

New flashes!

So my entire extended family knows by know that I'm a photo geek, so for christmas the gift cards for B&H photo came pouring in... With the money I got myself a flash kit. Two of Canon's high-end camera flashes and an infrared trigger. High-end basically means stuff like having enough power to use as fill flash in broad daylight, automatic flash power, being able to swivel the heads around to bounce light off the walls, etc.
The infrared trigger lets me use them off the camera and still use their automatic features, otherwise I can use a radio trigger for more distance, but at the expense of having to set them manually.

When I got the kit I was a little disappointed to find out that the infrared trigger didn't come with the special battery it needed. I'll have to stop by Batteries Plus and grab one. Of course, I didn't let something like that stop me for long:

IMG_1210_DXO_RAW

That's right. 4 AA batteries bound with electrical tape and wired in series for the required 6 volts, positioned so they are powering the contacts in the unit. Genius? Insanity? Both? You be the judge.

With that out of the way I played around with using the flashes themselves:

selfportrait

I think I'm gonna like them, or something.

No comments: